Sunday, December 6, 2009

Just ducky


Another in the acrylic bird series. This compact little guy is a Ruddy Duck painted on a 6x8 canvas board.

In winter, Ruddy Ducks inhabit shallow, protected, saltwater bays and estuaries along the coast or ice-free, inland lakes and ponds. Breeding habitat is freshwater marshes and ponds with marshy borders mixed with open water.
Ruddy Ducks are often found in tight flocks. They forage by diving under water and straining mud through their bills to find food. Like many small-winged ducks, Ruddy Ducks must get a running start across the water to become airborne. I've only seen them in photos but I think they're just  downright cute.

3 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Kathi, I loved learning all this about the little Ruddy Duck...
I have to tell you how great you have captured the water movement.. it looks alive... Wow!!

Hope you feeling better these days...

JulenaJo said...

Darling painting! I just asked my daughter if I can borrow her acrylics. Maybe I can do that, too! Ha!

Lovethiscottage.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for stopping by Gwen and Jo. Yes I'm getting better, Gwen, I can stay on my feet for most of the day now and my 6 week checkup yesterday was good, healing on schedule.