Sunday, October 31, 2010

Maybe I should pick my tomatoes....

Damn, I wasnt ready for this yet. Always in denial at this time of year, my garden fork with snow on the handle is where I left it, sticking in the patch of weeds I was digging out of the garden. Looks like this is an inside day, I am baking trays of acorn squash which, when cooked I can scrape the squash off their skins and freeze it.
Yesterday we went to an auction on the trail of a pony model troy bilt tiller, but having a look underneath I could see where the transmission fluid had been leaking out of the seals in the tine housing, the tines were
worn and needed replacement and judging from the big hairdo on the girl on the maual cover I guessed it was made in the mid 80's. So I didn't feel too bad when someone else took it home for way too much money.
 We got this magnificent solid walnut table for just $100! I am SOOO happy with it. Wonderful condition and the center leaf kind of telescopes in underneath when not in use. Our other amazing buys were this pretty wicker seat chair for $10. and two small tables made of the most beautiful wood, for $40 and $60. Now we have a perfect excuse to go to the next auction in search of dining room chairs to match the big table.
Auction shopping has been my antidote to feeling really sad and heartbroken over losing my sweet but dumb golden polish hen. She tended to wander about in her dazed sort of way, apart from the flock. She didnt know enough to avoid open places like the other girls and sometime while I was indoors she disappeared. I imagine a fox grabbed her. There were no telltale feathers, nothing. I have been obsessively checking on the silver polish, but thankfully she has learned to follow the other hens. I have started an outdoor fenced run to protect them when I cant be outdoors.




4 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh Kathi I'm so sorry about your hen.. just going through it myself I'm in the same boat with the pain and hurt... what a beautiful table though : ) ... dust that snow off your pitch fork and keep going : )...
Happy Halloween!!

rauf said...

Never been to any auction in my life. i have watched them only in the movies. You have lovely furniture Kathi

Shelley said...

Sorry about your Hen. Great finds at the auction!! Congratulations.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Kathi! I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet adorable fluffy headed Polish girl.. Why do they have to be so cute.. it only makes us sadder when something like this happens... RIP...

Your auction pieces are beautiful.. They look in perfect shape.... good for you!!