Monday, October 27, 2008

A golden morning


I Meant To Do My Work Today
by Richard LeGallienne

I meant to do my work today,
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand,










It rained overnight but the sun came out early and warm this morning, bringing with it that rich earthy damp leaves everywhere smell. The fog crept up from the Bay filtering the sunlight in the east, while looking west the sky was brilliant blue against the yellow/rust/green leaves of our
huge linden trees.

A day like this is like a gift, especially with the weatherman predicting rain all day. So I gave in, put aside all my indoor chores and played about in the pond, fishing leaves out with the rake.









This afternoon I did dutifully clean up my studio,(the window up over the woodpile) packing away all the mat and foamcore cutting mess from the summer print production, sweeping up the dust and squirrel poop, (they sometimes get in) So now Im ready to get back to painting. Im officially in winter mode.

1 comment:

Free Rein Art Studio said...

what a beautiful setting you have! I loved the poem. I think if more people chased butterflies the world would be a better place! :)