Monday, September 14, 2009

Building up and tearing down

My little greenhouse I built 12 years ago is rotting and will never make it thru another season so here comes it's replacement. I was given a pile of sliding patio doors, thermopanes, so the building is designed around them. This time I'm using pressure treated lumber so by the time it wears out I'll be too old to lift a hammer anyway.
Today I'll work on the right side which will be the winter chicken house/garden tool shed. The window in between is to let the warmth of the winter sun in the greenhouse through to the chickens.

On the raccoon war front...I am losing badly as evidenced by the devastation in the nearly ripe corn. It seems another family has moved into the vacumn created by the removal of the last five. They are driving me crazy, I'm finding the trap sprung every morning with nothing in it.









The little chicks are 3 weeks old now and entering their gangly teenage stage. Momma keeps them close to the house or in the shade of the big trees away from danger from the skies. They are so entertaining to watch them learning their chicken things.


2 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Kathi it seems you have met your match... those raccoons have as much perseverance as you!!! sorry about your corn though...

... and good luck on the new green house.
looks great so far...

Lovethiscottage.blogspot.com said...

I'm picturing a tap turned on somewhere with raccoons pouring out of it... I caught number 6 the other night but yesterday Wayne next door saw 2 more crossing the road.
Gardeners are always looking to next year tho...maybe electrified fortifications around the corn patch, house voltage, ha!