Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ben & Lucas further developments

I think I'll tackle the clothing next, beginning with a careful study of the shadow values. I'm mixing a warm light wash of ultramarine blue + permanent rose, a middle tone of ultramarine blue + permanent alizarin crimson, and a cool dark tone of winsor blue + perm alizarin crimson. I'm applying the light wash first anywhere there is shadow and after it dries following with the medium and then the dark, watching the reference photo for the hard or soft edges of the various values. At this point its all about lightness and darkness of shadow areas with actual local color to come later .


Ready for a change from fiddly passages, I've added more intense greens to the background with lots of juicy paint allowed to run together.

No comments: